« Home | Illness & a Bar Fight: My New Year's Eve » | More Pictures » | Sex Or Sleep? Experts Weigh In » | Snowing » | Crimes in Anatomy » | Ha Ha Ha.... I'm a Perv » | Strange Medical Cases & Stuff » | The Face of Medicine » | Whatever » | Pictures » 

Thursday, January 11, 2007 

My Medical Affliction

I am reading another book that talks about medical problems that still have unknown causes and such. I then came across the on a particular one, and it occured to me, all of these times I have written strange medical posts.... I never once talked about what was wrong with me. Alopecia Areata... No one knows for sure what causes it, but it is believed to be induced by stress. The doctor told me that it may be genetic since it happened to me in my twenties, but then again, no one really knows. It happened when I came back from boot camp and my father had just died in that wreck. Before I explain what it is, let me say that it was not permanent.... All of my damn hair started falling out. It started as a little bald spot on the back of my head. Then it was four little bald spots on various parts of my head... Eventually I just had patches of hair left. Now this was horribly embarrassing, but the treatment was worse then the affliction. To make my hair grow back, I had to go every three weeks to get a steroid shot and an acid treatment. That is right, acid. They put this shit on my head that would literally melt the flesh off of my head. So for three days following each treatment I would have liquid stuff and flesh dripping off of my head, then after that I would have dry chunks of flesh just falling off. I looked like I had leprosy, and it hurt like a mother fucker. I sincerely hope that it is a genetic thing, even though I am the first, because I want my little brother to get it for all of the shit he gave me.


Here are some pictures that I found on google... It starts out like this, but for me it was little lower on the back of my head.





Here is another




Then it turns into this... I am not sure if it got this bad on me... My hair was a little longer so I could cover it up better except for the two huge spots on the top of my head. When this happens to men, they can just shave their heads bald... But I did not want to.






Or this




Pretty shitty deal huh. Yeah I thought so at the time. Hopefully it never happens again.


While I am posting pictures.... I took a wierd picture of myself in the mirror, because everyone was bitching at me for not letting them take my picture. I have made it my profile picture on myspace. People have made many jokes about it rather in person, email, or on myspace. Anyway, here is the picture, followed by my favorite comment. It was my cousin Matt that left the comment.

"All I can think of is that scene in Silence of the Lambs where the crazy guy is looking into a mirror saying....Oh yeah. I'd fuck me... Then he does the tuck under. "